Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell's theorem - for or against Hidden Variables?
Obviously Christian's work has errors, most of which I learned from Gill.

The somewhat-interesting question, is there any meat here? I still think he's trying to equate O(3) and SU(2) which, one feels, might lead somewhere. Christian should admit, and correct, his errors. (Note, those big bets make it harder for him to do so.) What remains afterwards may have some interest.

Aaronson's blog discussion is a lot more fun than the one here, although of course it doesn't get anywhere. Some worthwhile quotes:

Joy Christian said: But in fact the error was actually discovered 30 years before Bell by a mathematician called Grete Hermann. Heisenberg and others were well aware of that discovery. Nevertheless von Neumann’s theorem (despite the existence of Bohm’s theory as an explicit counterexample) was believed in by the physics community for 30 years! For 30 years physicists continued to believe in von Neumann’s theorem and completely ignored and ridiculed Grete Hermann. She was marginalized and ostracized by the likes of Scott. So, I am afraid, the real picture of the sociology of science is a bit more complicated than what we are brought up to believe in.

He's right, and this sort of thing is what allows crackpots to flourish. For 100 years or so the top professional physicists have been half-crackpots themselves. Consider the work of Shmelzer and others on ether theories. Obviously there may be ether, and there may be a fixed reference frame; Lorentz was probably right; but it's sacrilegious heresy to say so. When will this Einstein-worship be scrapped? I give it about 20 more years. Because the "great" physicists are so blind, people like Christian won't believe the establishment. As he says, consider Grete Hermann. Many others have also been "burned at the stake", this last century or so, for being right. Of course that doesn't mean every anti-establishment'er, like Christian, is right; but it very much encourages them.

Scott Aaronson said: I completely agree with Henning Dekant that anything involving exploding colorful toy balls should absolutely be funded. If someone takes up a collection, I’ll be pleased to put in $20 of my personal money.

Me too.

David Brown said: Recently I posted 3 pieces of appalling drivel online that seem to prove that I fail to understand physics and mathematics (OOPS!).

LOL

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bell's theorem - for or against Hidden Variables? - by secur - 08-30-2016, 02:02 AM