Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computing heat capacities in Bohmian Mechanics
(05-28-2016, 04:08 PM)Schmelzer Wrote: The problem is, does it go ever outside the equilibrium?  

Once whatever we actually do is nicely described by some QT state, it follows that it is nicely described by a dBB state in quantum equilibrium, which is there already from the start and never leaves it. For me, the question is not about the real technical possibilities - there is not even a theory which gives us a hint what we would need to reach some non-equilibrium.

(05-29-2016, 06:17 AM)Schmelzer Wrote: The situation is the reverse one:  The hypothesis that there may be non-equilibrium states simplifies dBB theory, and gets rid of an additional assumption - that the state has to be in quantum equilibrium.  That it is, can be derived.  A. Valentini, H. Westman, Dynamical Origin of Quantum Probabilities, Proc.Roy.Soc.Lond. A 461, 253-272 (2005), arxiv:quant-ph/0403034 is the relevant paper about the relaxation to equilibrium.

I would agree here - it is nice for a theory to have this additional option of non-equilibrium. Eventually, the experiment has to show whether that part is just an overhead or the find of the century.

Of course, I have no clue. My first guess would be that a quantum system runs out of equilibrium whenever a sudden and global change of the wave function takes place. A kind of switch in the experimental setup which changes a global symmetry. Then, one has to custom design a system which equilibrates as slowly as possible. Perhaps some sort of topological restriction which prohibits a very rapid equilibration. Finding such a hint for non-equilibrium would be dramatic, it would simply open a completely new path toward the understanding of quantum systems, and it might have dramatic implications for quantum field theory, too.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Computing heat capacities in Bohmian Mechanics - by Quiet reader - 05-30-2016, 01:11 AM