Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computing heat capacities in Bohmian Mechanics
Heat capacity depends on available degrees of freedom (among other things). Since the pilot wave is identical to the traditional wave function, it will have, at least, the same dof's, viz., the orthogonal eigenfunctions. But dBB includes another entity, the beable particle. On the face of it this provides at least 3 more dof's. Furthermore the pilot wave is considered "real" instead of ... whatever it's considered in the traditional interpretation. Interpreting that wave as "real" potentially introduces infinite extra dof's.

I suppose that when analyzing an atom's heat capacity similar dof's are introduced?

So this introduces some doubt about dBB's calculation of heat capacity.

Looking at Bohm's 1952 paper, this concern is not directly addressed. He proves equivalence for standard measurements, but doesn't consider heat capacity or dof's. Actually I have only his first paper Part I, but am pretty sure it's not addressed in Part II either. Nor is it in "Undivided Universe".

It's easy to resolve this issue by making an additional, reasonable assumption: those extra dof's don't count. They're not capable of absorbing energy thus raising heat capacity. I can think of a couple ways to formulate that.

Schmelzer, probably this is a non-issue, but can you explain why?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Computing heat capacities in Bohmian Mechanics - by secur - 05-27-2016, 04:48 PM