Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open letter to Physics Forums (which resulted in banning me)
One of the main mainstream forums for physics has banned me, after I have written the following open letter to the administration:

Quote:Unacceptable references or topics

jedishrfu, convMessage: 161299, member: 376845 Wrote:Hi Ilja,

In regards to your thread/post: Why SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)?

To preserve the quality rating of Physics Forums, in some sub forums we require references to be from reputable sources such as credible scientific journals. Sources such as major news site, wikis or credible organizations will be evaluated on a case by case basis.

We also ban certain topics from discussion. These topics can be found in our rules below:

Please view our forum rules guidelines for more information.

Thanks for your understanding and participation at Physics Forums!

jedishrfu
So Foundations of Physics does not count as a credible scientific journal? 

In this case, I would say it is your forum, which is not a credible scientific forum, and not Foundations of Physics which is not credible.  

Moreover, you discredit your own forum as liars, given that Foundations of Physics is listed in your list of acceptable journals:  http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/cgi...%20Physics

Or is the topic - a request for theories which explain why the SM gauge group is what it is - a banned topic?  In this case, I would also say that this discredits your forum.  

If you don't correct this completely unjustified decision, I will have to inform the scientific community about this using other forums.  So, I ask you to  give me an official answer (to be published in other forums), about the following questions:

1.) Is it correct that "Foundations of Physics"  is not accepted as a "credible scientific journal"?
2.) Is it correct that the topic "Why SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)?",  which is in my opinion a central question of all the research beyond the standard model, is banned in  the Physics Forum?  
3.) If not, why was the whole thread "Why SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)?" together with my answer, containing the reference to the paper  Foundations of Physics, vol. 39, nr. 1, p. 73 (2009), the link to the arxiv version arxiv.org/abs/0908.0591 of this paper, and a quote from the abstract

"We find the SM SU(3)_c x SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y action on Aff(3) x C x /\(R^3) to be a maximal anomaly-free special gauge action preserving E(3) symmetry and symplectic structure, which can be constructed using two simple types of gauge-like lattice fields: Wilson gauge fields and correction terms for lattice deformations."

which shows that this paper gives an answer to the question, deleted? 

This is an open letter, and it will be published if this scandalous decision is not reversed.  

Sincerely yours,  Ilja Schmelzer 
The only visible reaction was that the thread reappeared (see here),  but without my reference to my Foundations of Physics paper.  The other part of the reaction was that I was banned.

So, actually it is not only the sociological problem that, with the modern organization of science, which makes young scientists without any permanent position extremely dependent on the mainstream (a problem I have discussed in my paper "whats wrong with modern science"), which prevents the success of theories outside the mainstream.  We have to add here also explicit censorship of the discussion of such theories in mainstream physics forums, and not only of crank theories, but even of theories published in established mainstream journals.